Thursday, September 19, 2013

Camp Boyfriend by J.K.Rock


Image
Image taken from Goodreads


The Blurb:

The summer of her dreams is about to get a reality check.

They said it couldn't be done, but geeky sophomore Lauren Carlson transformed herself into a popular girl after moving to a new school halfway across the country. Amazing what losing her braces and going out for cheerleading will do. Only trouble is, the popular crowd is wearing on Lauren's nerves and she can't wait to return to summer camp where she's valued for her brain instead of her handsprings. She misses her old friends and most of all, her long time camp-only boyfriend, Seth. This year she intends to upgrade their relationship to year-round status once she's broken up with her new, jock boyfriend, Matt. He doesn't even begin to know the real her, a girl fascinated by the night sky who dreams of discovering new planets and galaxies.

But Matt isn't giving her up without a fight. As he makes his case to stay together, Lauren begins to realize his feelings run deeper than she ever would have guessed. What if the guy she thought she was meant to be with forever isn't really The One? Returning to Camp Juniper Point was supposed to ground her uprooted life, but she's more adrift than ever. Everything feels different and soon Lauren's friends are turning on her and both guys question what she really wants. As summer tensions escalate, Lauren wonders if she's changed more than she thought. Will her first big discovery be herself?


The Characters



Lauren: After moving to Texas, she loses her braces, straightens her hair, and gets a new wardrobe. She wants to escape to camp to return to Seth and her former self. Throughout the book she decides not only which boy to date, but who she is inside.


Seth: Lauren's old camp boyfriend. Loves nature, superheros, blond curly hair, sexy bod, good kisser. Can I say yum?? Why yes, yes I can!!


Matt: Lauren's boyfriend at the start of the book. Football player, Mr. Popular, gorgeous, athletic, popular, charismatic, troubled, musical, loyal, caring, passionate, and strong.


Secondary Characters I loved: Gollum and Emily.

My Review:

I loved it! It was fun. It was silly. It was serious. What a good book for young girls trying to find themselves. Girls need to understand that they don't have to have a boyfriend to discover who they are. I'd recommend Camp Boyfriend to anyone, even if they aren't so young anymore.

That being said, this book still had plenty of fun stuff involved! I loved Gollum with his whistle and Emily with her strong, loyal, energetic personality.

Lauren was very easy to relate to. I loved it that she fit in with more than one crowd because that's how I felt in high school, and not everyone seemed to appreciate that. it was really hard for me to figure that part of me out too.

To me it was realistic because it showed that we don't all just fit neatly into the categories that society places puts us in. We're each unique human beings, and it's possible to love high fashion, reading, and be a big video game nerd at the same time. I would know! :)

Finally, the guys. This one was tough for me. I had already fallen for Seth in Camp Kiss, so when I started Camp Boyfriend I wasn't impressed with Matt, but I suspect that was what JK Rock had planned all along. As the book progressed I slowly began realizing how amazing both guys were.

By the end, I was team Matt all the way!

I can't wait to see what's next!! I will definitely be reading the rest of this series!

My Rating:

 photo Itwasdeliciouslyamazing2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment